What are the top trending Geelong Region Eat, Stay & Tour careers in tourism?

  • Ecotourism

What does a Tourism worker do?

Guide, manage, inform and support international and local tourism to the Geelong region.

What do I need to be good at?

  • Informing and leading groups
  • Gathering and keeping up to date with tourism services
  • Researching and collecting facts and historical information
  • Working in a team
  • Relating well to the customer
  • Patience and kindness
  • Working quickly and well under pressure
  • Following directions
  • Work related literacy and numeracy

How much do I get paid?

Starts at $45,000 and progresses to $78,000 per year, depending on your experience.

How do I get trained?

At school by

  1. Doing a year 10 work experience with an employer in regional Eat, Stay and Tour careers.
  2. Enrolling in the VET in Schools Certificate II in Tourism where you study part time at TAFE . If you secure a school based traineeship with a local employer, you can complete your year 12 and spend one or two days a week with your employer. You could graduate with year 12, a Certificate 11 in tourism, and the equivalent of up to one year of your apprenticeship completed.

At the Gordon TAFE or other registered training organisation by

  1. Completing a short course in Travel or Customer Service
  2. Completing a six month Full time Certificate III Tourism, Guiding or Travel course. You don’t need an ATAR , but you will need a year 11 completion.
  3. Completing a Certificate IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma Travel and Tourism Course

On the job

  1. Look for a school based apprenticeship or full time apprenticeship with G Force, an individual employer or another apprenticeship provider.

Where are the jobs for Tourism?

For jobs right around Australia, check out
For jobs in Geelong see our live job feed on

How do I get experience?

At school undertake work experience opportunities in Hospitality, or ask your careers teacher or VET or VCAL coordinator. You can also ask an Eat, Stay and Tour Careers employer for a voluntary work opportunity.

After School, undertake a short food preparation and serving course at the Gordon, or another training provider, to prepare you for the many part time work opportunities in Eat, Stay and Tour Careers. Many careers in the Eat Stay Tour industry start with part time or casual work.

Keep an eye on the Volunteering Geelong website.

What does this job lead to?

Fully qualified and experienced tourism workers can go on to become business owners and operators. Further training can lead to specialisation in:

  • Travel agencies
  • Ecotourism
  • Tourism Business management