Food & Food Services

Food & Food Services

With Geelong the fastest growing region in Victoria, there has been a corresponding explosion in our regional food and food services industry. Geelong is known for great coffee, great local foods, and beautiful tourism destinations. Employment in our regional cafes and restaurants hs grown 15.7% since 2011, and 34.4% since 2006. Our busy working lifestyles have also led to substantial growth in both the takeaway foods and the catering sector, which have increased 46% and 52% respectively since 2006.

What are the top trending Geelong Region Eat, Stay and Tour Careers in food and food services?

  • Takeaway foods, Cafes and restaurants, pubs, taverns, bars and events catering.

What does a Food and Food Services worker do?

Work in a range of settings including baking, butchering, catering, cooking, pastry making, bar tending, food and drink waiting, food preparation, hotel management.

What do I need to be good at?

If you are front of house: serving, waiting, management, catering, you need to be good at:

  • Working in a team
  • Relating well to the customer
  • Patience and kindness
  • Working quickly and well under pressure
  • Following directions
  • Work related literacy and numeracy

How much do I get paid?

From around $45,000 to $108,853 per annum depending on experience.

How do I get trained?

At school by

  1. Doing a year 10 work experience with an employer in regional Eat, Stay and Tour Careers.
  2. Enrolling in the VET in Schools Certificate II in Cookery, Hospitality, Tourism where you study part time at TAFE. If you secure a school based traineeship with a local employer, you can complete your year 12 and spend one or two days a week with your employer. You could graduate with year 12, a Certificate 11 in hospitality, and the equivalent of up to one year of your apprenticeship completed.

At the Gordon TAFE or other registered training organisation by

  1. Completing a short course in responsible serving of alcohol, Barista, professional Bar Service, Customer Service, Catering, Hygienic Food Preparation.
  2. Completing a six month Full time Certificate III Hospitality course. You don’t need an ATAR, but you will need a year 11 completion.
  3. Completing a Certificate III, Certificate IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma Hospitality Course.

On the job

  1. Look for a school based apprenticeship or full time apprenticeship with G Force, an individual employer or another apprenticeship provider.

Where are the jobs for Food and Food Services?

For jobs right around Australia, check out
For jobs in Geelong see our live job feed on

How do I get experience?

At school undertake work experience opportunities in Hospitality, or ask your careers teacher or VET or VCAL coordinator. You can also ask an Eat, Stay and Tour Careers employer for a voluntary work opportunity.

After School, undertake a short food preparation and serving course at the Gordon, or another training provider, to prepare you for the many part time work opportunities in Eat, Stay and Tour Careers. Many careers in the Eat Stay Tour industry start with part time or casual work.

Keep an eye on the Volunteering Geelong website.

What does this job lead to?

Fully qualified and experienced hospitality workers can go on to become business owners and operators. Further training can lead to specialisation in:

  • Commercial cookery
  • Patisserie
  • Sugar and chocolate work
  • Business management
  • Events management
  • Restaurant and hotel management