What are the top trending Geelong Region Eat, Stay & Tour careers in accommodation?

  • Facilities upkeep and management at Hotels, motels, caravan parks, bed and breakfasts, camp grounds accommodation.
  • Housekeeping in hotels and resorts.
  • Front office in hotels and resorts.
  • Food and beverage service in hotels and resorts

What do I need to be good at?

  • Working in a team
  • Relating well to the customer
  • Patience and kindness
  • Working quickly and well under pressure
  • Creative responses to consumer/market demands
  • Following directions
  • Work related literacy and numeracy

How much do I get paid?

Starts at $43,700 and progresses to $108,853 depending on your experience

How do I get trained?

At school by

  1. Doing a year 10 work experience with an employer in regional Eat, Stay and Tour careers.
  2. Enrolling in the VET in Schools Certificate II in Hospitality or Tourism. If you secure a school based traineeship with a local employer, you can complete your year 12 and spend one or two days a week on the job. You could graduate with year 12, a Certificate 11 in hospitality , and the equivalent of up to one year of your apprenticeship completed.

At the Gordon TAFE or other registered training organisation by

  1. Completing a six month Full time Certificate III Hospitality or Tourism course. You don’t need an ATAR , but you will need a year 11 completion.
  2. Completing a Certificate IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma Hospitality or Tourism Course. This will take two to three years.

On the job

  1. Look for a school based apprenticeship or full time apprenticeship with G Force, an individual employer or another apprenticeship provider. You can start your career, get paid while you learn, and train on the job.

Where are the jobs for Accommodation?

For jobs right around Australia, check out
For jobs in Geelong see our live job feed on

How do I get experience?

At school undertake work experience opportunities in Hospitality, or ask your careers teacher or VET or VCAL coordinator. You can also ask an Eat, Stay and Tour Careers employer for a voluntary work opportunity.

After School, undertake a short food preparation and serving course at the Gordon, or another training provider, to prepare you for the many part time work opportunities in Eat, Stay and Tour Careers. Many careers in the Eat Stay Tour industry start with part time or casual work.

Keep an eye on the Volunteering Geelong website.

What does this job lead to?

Fully qualified and experienced accommodation workers can go on to become business owners and operators. Further training can lead to specialisation in:

  • Hotel, motel and resort management
  • Camp grounds management